Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Crosswalk Complaint Corralled


After a couple of days of being able to collect some thoughts on the rant that I posted earlier, I spent a little time doing some good ‘ol research into my rant to see if there was any validity to what I was going on about. So I called upon my good friend Mr. Google and asked him to find me any news reports about UVU students getting hit by vehicles on campus. Lo and behold! The first five articles were each different accounts of UVU students getting punished by ignorant people—all within the last two years. Granted one article was about some UVU students who were struck by a vehicle off campus, but my point stands.

Apparently, at least three of the stories were of students who were hit by vehicles while they were crossing the crosswalk. I am beginning to wonder how much this adds to the adage that, “Utah drivers are the worst drivers out there.” This doesn’t look good for their record.

What really irks me is an article written by Mallory Black of the UVU review posted December 6, 2012 in which an UVU admin professor who happened upon the scene of an auto-pedestrian accident shared his insight that, “This event just told me some [drivers] are not watching. I’ve seen a lot of people not even bother” (Black). What is wrong with this picture?! People just blowing through crosswalks like they own the place? Perhaps I just need to view this with an open mind. Okay, so maybe I’m justified running cross walks because I don’t understand that state law mandates that I must stop at crosswalks when there are people crossing. Or, I’m going to be late to class and that extra ten seconds I save is definitely worth the risk of hitting somebody. Besides, I love life-changing accidents that will haunt me for the rest of my life!

But of course! What was I thinking?

Work Cited

Black, Mallory. "Student hit by car near UVU Testing Center." UVU Review [Orem] 06 Dec 2012, Web. 16 Jan. 2013. <http://www.uvureview.com/2012/12/06/student-hit-by-car-near-uvu-testing-center/>.

1 comment:

  1. One day I had people crossing the cross walk while I was in the turn lane to the parking lot here at UVU and traffic cleared so I could turn and a car actually honked his horn because I didn't turn soon enough for him. I had a student crossing right in front of my car at that very moment. He was turning out of the parking lot, could he not see the three or four pedestrians I was waiting for? I don't know, but it was ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete